During the girl's formative years, we spent a great deal of time at Litchfield Beach and Pawley's Island. As they approached adulthood, we left the area and changed to Isle of Palms and Kiawah. Most of our memories of raising the children, consequently, were more tied up with Litchfield and Pawley and I was surprised how sentimental I got when Garry and I spent a day there this past weekend. Frank's Restaurant, Pawley's Island Hammock store, etc., etc., brought back so many wonderful memories...we've been so wrapped up in grandchildren that the memories of Anne, Paige and their friends took us back more than a decade. We could almost clearly see them as teenagers...the friends they brought, the family that came to visit, the restaurants, the shopping, the beaches. I really was on the brink of tears the whole day. Garry said he could tell the minute I whipped my camera out what was going on behind my sunglasses. Of course, Anne and Paige, you won't really understand this until AFTER your children are grown and they have children of their own...can you just imagine it? Ben and McLean as MEN? Piper and Mary Elizabeth as WOMEN? With families of their own? Well, let me tell you, after spending the day their we realized how AMAZINGLY fast those years went by. And, by the way, I love the women you turned out to be!!!!
THE OLD - Anne and Paige, you will recognize these:
I had to laugh at this sign in one of the stores and wonder which girl would say this to her sister:
THE NEW: You wouldn't recognize the place:
Oh, and by the way, your favorite Live Oak tree, Anne and Paige, the one in front of the Litchfield Inn, is no longer intact...the huge limb that meandered all over broke off...it's sad!
So we left late Sunday afternoon and got home at 6:30 at which time I picked up my car which was serviced while we were gone and headed for Athens to take care of Piper while Paige had an appointment on Monday. Piper and I are playing in her room.
Mom-- sweet memories :)
ReplyDeleteOh, Julie, I know. I have those days when I feel as though I am overwhelmed by the memories. And although my youngest is still here, each day she grows even taller than me and I know that nothing will ever be as it was.
ReplyDeleteBut wasn't it wonderful? How blessed we've been.
Hi Julie, this post was in my blog reader today (I have an alert set for anything mentioning Pawleys Island) and I can identify with your post. I live in Virginia and, like you, our family vacations were spent in Pawleys Island at the Litchfield by the Sea resort. Now, our two children are adults and we have a three year old granddaughter. Pawleys Island will always have a special place in our hearts and memories. Seems like yesterday I was the young mother and now I am the Nana - how quickly the time went by.....We still have our beach vacation with children and granddaughter every year and are very blessed to have lived this wonderful life.... I really enjoyed your post.....God bless your family.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your comments, Lisa and LeighAnn...I still don't have a hang of posting a reply...it never seems to work for me...but I enjoyed reading what you wrote...we shall see if this one posts...
ReplyDelete