A gymnastics reunion for the Columbus North Bulldogs is being held this June in Columbus, Indiana. There has been a whirlwind of action going on in Facebook where pictures are being posted, so I've taken a bunch to submit and thought I'd write a post about what it was like, from my perspective, to be involved in Garry's world my last year of college. Garry and I both were involved with the Baptist Student Union and Fellowship of Christian Athletes; he was the college jock and I was a singer. We met one evening when I was singing at FCA...he was president at the time. It was a nice enough meeting and I was interested in Garry. A friend of mine named Tracey worked with me at Dee's Student Shop on Campus Corner. She told me over and over again for over six months that "Garry is going to call you" [the guy she was dating was a friend of Garry's], but not a word! What I took for a lack of interest on his part was simply 'fear'! One day at practice, a group of gymnasts were organizing an evening to take their dates to a cool restaurant in Oklahoma City. They asked Garry who he'd like to take knowing that he was interested in me, but that he was afraid to ask me...they actually picked him up in tandem, hauled him into the office and forced him to dial the number while they waited, making it clear that he could not leave until he did. So he dials and I answer. He asks me if I'd like to go out to dinner with a group of his friends and I nonchalantly tell him that I have to spend time with him first before I'll go out with him, and then I would consider...well how's that for quasi- bursting someone's bubble? Gentleman that he was (is), he comes to my apartment and my roomies greet him. He has his letter jacket on, is drop-dead handsome, and hands my roomies some eggnog he brought over to share with us. They were as smitten as I was. It was early December, White Christmas was playing on the television, and Garry charmed us all. He and I stayed up until the wee hours of the night talking, and I knew without a doubt that this was the man I would marry. True to my gut-feeling, we were married by the next December. We had a blast on that first date and it was nothing but great times ahead...I was in several productions and he was in his busy competition season. I was forunate to get to visit the gym often during workouts...best time in the world...rock music screaming from the speakers and the best looking guys on campus strutting their stuff. I memorized every movement Garry made, from the way he always rubbed the horse one time before he mounted to the hand-chalking and high-fiving whenever he completed a good routine. I remember one time all the guys jumped on the horse so I could take a picture and when I said 'cheese', they all turned their profile to me...in unison...it was priceless. I got to go to the Big Eight Championships, which Garry won on pommel horse, and that was so cool...I met his parents for the first time...I tease them all the time about how they wore color-coordinated outfits...I thought that was the coolest thing at the time...my goodness, they were only in their 40's then...but I fell in love with them and have been blessed beyong measure with kind, loving in-laws whom I admire with all my heart. Garry's brother, Terry, was next in line. He was and still is the greatest big brother! I didn't meet Perian until the summer but I remember looking at her high school graduation picture thinking she was so beautiful...I couldn't wait to meet her. And David, the baby brother, was as sweet as could be. OU won the National Championship that year, two times in Garry's four years. We've been married nearly 34 years now...uh uh...no way! Celebrating Ben and McLean's 3rd birthday put that all in perspective!
The first picture is obviously of Garry at OU, but it is one of my favorites and that's why I began with it. The following shots are in high school and then progress to OU.
You've heard of the expression 'tongue in cheek'...this pictures shows that perfectly!
This is one of the big signs I made for the Big Eight Championship...it is bigger than it looks and it hung on the side of the rails so it could be seen from the floor.
These kind of hand-made signs were put all over...
Garry has graduated in this picture (I still have a semester to go) and we spent the summer at Garry's home in Columbus.
So handsome!
I loved seeing the pictures of the two of you and sharing some of those wonderful memories. I especially loved the story of Garry's asking you out the first time. How totally like you to say you wanted to spend time with him first. Flattering yet very clear about how you should be treated. You're such a wonderful couple! - Gilda
ReplyDeleteThanks so much, Gilda...it was really fun to share the story, although Garry didn't want me to post originally b/c he doesn't like to "toot his own horn", so to speak :) . But my daughter Paige posted it on facebook b/c she loved sharing the story. Hee hee. I'd love to hear more of your stories too!
ReplyDeleteJust saw this Julie and was so warmed by the long history of your lives and the love you shared for these many, but not nearly enough, years. You were a gorgeous couple.
ReplyDelete