Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Potted Geranium; She'sFinished [the quilt that is!]; Projects; A Quick Trip to Athens

My friend, Vicki, asked me to join her on a drive over to Athens so she could  visit with her family.  What a blessing that her brother lives just a few miles away from Paige and Trevor!  I'll post some pictures of my visit, but first I'll talk about our stop in a quaint little town called Greensboro where we went antiquing and had lunch in a new found favorite restaurant called 'The Potted Geranium'.
Garry's mom, Helen, always takes the girls and I to a sweet tea room in Winter Haven when we visit, so when we found this place, I was delighted I got to enjoy a wonderful lunch with Vicki and her mother.  The food was delectable and so was the service!  I had cream with my tea for the first time...what have I been waiting for...it was like dessert!  We each got to choose our own pot of tea and each pot was served in a pretty fabric wrap. 










Backtracking a bit, we got in to Athens on Thursday afternoon...it was Cinco de Mayo, so I took Paige, Trevor, Piperkins and their friend, John, to dinner at a great Mexican restaurant.  We were fortunate to get there early because within minutes, the place was more than overflowing.  As a matter of fact, Vicki and her family tried to come to the same restaurant, but it was just too packed.  We got home and  mom and dad gave Munchkin P a bath and she promptly went to bed.  I whisked Paige away and took her to see Water for Elephants.  I had already read the book and the movie was quite different...but it was a glimpse of what circus life was like during the Depression Era.  I'm not sure I would recommend the movie...it was hard to watch the cruelty to animals, but I know it is just a minor glimpse of how heinous animals, and human beings, for that matter, were treated in that setting. 
The next morning Trevor and I took Miss Piper to Chick Fila for breakfast and a bit of play time...I couldn't  believe how brave she had gotten in just a few weeks!  She was climbing all the way to the car by herself.  As she climbed down, I could hear her talking to herself saying, "It's okay, don't be scared."  And down she came!  When we got home, Piper watched some Veggie Tales and let me tell you, that girl was stuck in place like she was glued...her whole little body would react to all the little developments in the movie.










The quilt has been finished except for the final label on the back, but I hadn't gotten around to taking pictures of it yet.  Piper's birthday is May 30, so I am thankful it is completed.  I hope she loves it as much as I loved making it for her.


                       After the top, above, was finished, I added the quilt filling and the backing.
                          The quilt was attached to the filling and the backing with quilt basting spray.
                    Then I trimmed around the edges to prepared for the edging, which was handmade.
 Here's a shot of the completed quilt:

 The backside of the quilt is pink, and a lot of work goes into the quilt after it is all put together so that the back is beautifully quilted.
We constantly have projects going around the house:
1.  The fireplace is finished - remember the awful green tile that used to be there?


2.  Sewing projects are all over the place:



3.  Floral arranging:



4.  Gardening:


 This beautiful rose has been in bloom for over a week...the rose bush produces the most fragrant roses I've ever smelled.... and the peonies just don't last long enough.

The rose picture brings me to the last part of the post -  the beautiful mother's day cards from the grandchildren!




                                Bye for now and never forget how much God loves you!



2 comments:

  1. The quilt looks amazing mom! Thanks so much for sewing it for her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you like it! It was certainly a labor of love :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers

2010 Calendar

Click to play this Smilebox calendar
Create your own calendar - Powered by Smilebox
Make your own free printable calendar

Matthew Henry Commentary

Matthew Henry Commentary
Old & New Testament

My Utmost For His Highest

My Utmost For His Highest
My Favorite Devotional

one year bible online

one year bible online
Several translations...easy access for daily quiet time.

Anne's Etsy Site

Anne's Etsy Site
'Two Little Monkeys' on Etsy

Anne's 'Two Little Monkey's' site

Anne's 'Two Little Monkey's' site
Where to find custom made children's clothing

Paige's Etsy Site

Paige's Etsy Site
Where to shop for lovely homemade accessories for your home.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed