Let me back up to say that I was scheduled to fly out to help Anne and Gene with their move from Little Rock, proper, to Maumelle, a suburb of Little Rock. The night before I was scheduled to leave we got a call from Anne telling us McLean had seriously cut his hand and was scheduled for emergency surgery that night around 11:00 p.m. The picture above was taken at the emergency room after McLean woke up from his surgery. So my flight gets in the next morning and I'm thrilled to see my grandbabies and Anne and Gene. Try to picture how difficult it was for them to deal with this injury and make a complete move, all in one weekend. McLean was incredibly brave and his brother was constantly talking about 'Clean's hurt hand'. We had packing, scrubbing, hauling, child care, and gobs more to deal with. It was overwhelming for Anne and Gene, but God provides a sense of calm in times of crisis that is unexplainable. That's why I love Hebrews 11:1....faith is the substance of things hoped for; the evidence of things not seen. There was abundant faith that all would fall in place and, indeed, it did. With the help of good friends who cooked for the family, helped pack, loaded trucks with boxes and furniture, brought meals after the move, babysat the children while I went ahead to the new house and gave a cursory clean up in preparation for the move, and countless other thoughtful ways of
helping, the move was completed.
Some of my sweetest memories of this move were of these two guys jumping into bed with Nonna at various times of the night or morning....sometimes at 3:45 a.m., [that was usually Ben after we moved into the new house...new surroundings and all], and McLean would join us when he woke up and brother was not in his bed.
Gene's birthday was the day after we moved into the new house. We celebrated the best we could, under the circumstances. Anne made sure to make it special...she had planned things well in advance, so he had some nice surprises in the midst of the chaos of the move. We were able to celebrate even more with a nice meal at Outback Steak House later in the week.
Between Monday and Wednesday, Anne kept the boys on schedule while daddy was at work and often, while Anne was working inside unpacking and taking care of Mary Elizabeth, the boys and I would play outside on their great deck...in this picture, the boys are having races from the rail to the windows at the back of the house. I'd raise my hand up and when it came down I'd say, "Go!' and they would race to see who could touch the windows and get back first. Look at Ben....he's inching away from the back rail to get a headstart on McLean! As you can see from the picture, McLean has his temporary cast on...he had to see a specialist on Wednesday to determing the damage to the fingers. When Wednesday came, I took Ben to see the movie "Hop" to keep him occupied...when we met up again with Anne and Gene we found out that he had completely severed one tendon and the other was severed around 80%. He was scheduled for surgery in just two days. My flight was schedule to depart on Thursday, so I changed it so I could be there for the surgery. On Friday, I kept Sissy and Ben and we had a wonderful time together.
Here's a picture of McLean's new cast:
He has a get well balloon from his Aunt Paige and his Uncle Trevor and cousin Piper...Ben has one too...a blue star...
The pictures above were taken on Sunday after the surgery...I wanted to help them get some fresh air, but not allow McLean to get overly tired, so I took them for a wagon ride around the lake near their home. The most lovely thing about their new neighborhood is the wonderful walking trails and parks winding all through the community. The boys loved riding through the woods and stopping to see the ducks and all the turtles sunbathing on fallen tree branches. I love the way their little minds work....they wanted to watch "Finding Nemo" after seeing creatures who lived in the water. Oceans, lakes...what's the difference?
You've heard of the expression, "You can't keep a good man down"; well, you sure can't keep a good little boy down, either. The boys sure have enjoyed themselves despite the injury. Here they are at Sonic riding in the race car.The day after I left Mclean spiked a temp of 102, which was a concern b/c he was on some powerful antibiotics. Anne and Gene had to take him back in to the orthopaedic specialist to be checked...unfortunately, they had to take his cast completely off to make certain the wound wasn't infected. Thankfully, it was healing beautifully, so he got a new cast and he chose red again. He is sporting his new haircut in the picture above...doesn't he look so grown up? I don't know how to explain how torn I was to leave...yet, they needed to have their home to themselves for a while. I was very tired, but in comparison to Anne and Gene, I had little to complain about. I came home with an unbelievable appreciation for what it is like to raise twin boys and an 8 month old ... I have an unfathomable respect for Anne and Gene and the amazing job they do with balancing everything. Yes, I use grandiose language when describing them, but simply put, they are just great parents. When you walk through chaos and crisis together, you learn the heart of the person [people]... there's no hiding who you are. Anne and Gene are dedicated, committed, loving people/parents and I want them to know how proud I am of them. I also want Ben and McLean to have on record that they are the sweetest, most loving boys a Nonna could ever ask for. Mary Elizabeth, your smile melts me and I love the way you are trying so hard to become mobile so you can catch up to your brothers...it won't be long.
I got home Tuesday evening and crashed. I slept until 9:30 the next morning...my dear friend, Vicky, texted me and invited me down to the beach for a time of rest and relaxation...even though I had to be back Friday to meet Paige, Trevor and Piper, I said "yes"... I packed up and prepared to go, but then shortly found out about McLean's fever...so I decided to put the trip on hold until I heard the results of the doctor's appointment that afternoon....I was ready to get back to Little Rock if McLean was in trouble. Anne texted me around 6:00 p.m. that his hand was great! They immediately went to their pediatrician who told them he had a viral infection....that was such good news...those little tendons just needed to heal! So, Garry and I grabbed a bite to eat...and I drove the Porsche down to Folly Beach to meet up with Ed and Vicky....Garry had to go to North Carolina the next day and he drove down to meet us after his meetings. He met us at the top of Club 225 overlooking the Cooper River Bridge and the Port...you can see the cruise ship in one of the pictures.
The next day, Friday, we got up for breakfast at 'The Lost Dog'... a favorite restaurant. Then off to the beach for a long walk and a stroll down the pier.
We left Folly at Noon and drove back to Columbia to meet up with Paige, Trevor and Piper... Paige was involved with the Indie Craft Festival associated with the Indie Film Festival on campus. We enjoyed getting to see them Friday night before they set up on Saturday...We had some nasty weather to contend with at the Craft Faire, but after taking Piper to Sandy's for a hot dog and then taking her home for a nap, the weather cleared and Paige had a successful show. I didn't get to take too many pictures, but a few were taken of set up. The police officers were awesome! They helped us put up the tent! Notice the little foot hanging out the door in the last picture...that's little Piper hanging out while we're setting up! I might add that so much love is directed to my son-in-law, Trevor, for his hard work in law school. In just a few weeks, he will be a 3L...his final year! And my sweet Paige, deepest love and hugs...you know why. I am so proud of you...your sweet Piper is so loving, just like her cousins. You and Trevor understand committment and devotion....like Anne and Gene, I know your hearts...they are in the right place.
After a nap, Piper went outside to swing and play in the sandbox...then off for a nice meal with Trevor's parents and Paige and Trevor after the faire.
Our last day was spent first at church with Paige, Piper and Trevor...while pops served communion. Piper was kind of like, "okay, you can go now, mommy...I'm ready to meet new friends in the nursery....no tears whatsoever". Then, after a nice afternoon nap, we took Piper to Sandhills to ride the train.
Well, that's it for the last two weeks of my life...how blessed I am to have good friends...a wonderful family, and a risen Savior!



It was a crazy two weeks, well it still is crazy here. But we couldn't have done it all without your help. Thank you for being here and for all you do for us! We love you!
ReplyDeleteMuah!