I've just returned from a very rejuvinating trip to Florida. I spent two days with my husband's parents, Ben and Helen, in WinterHaven. I then spent two days with my Aunt Betty in Bartow, Florida, as well as Long Boat Key, Florida. My last day was spent with my dear friend, Jamie. It was rejuvinating because I spent time with people I love and an overwhelming sense of healing and peace occured by spending time with my cousins Jerry and Randy while visiting my Aunt Betty. That is another story for another time, but suffice it to say, God did a work.
The first picture is of the roses Garry gave me for Valentine's Day, which we spent together before being apart for five days. You'd think we'd be apart for months the way we dreaded traveling and being apart. I guess when you spend as much time together as we do, every day counts.
While visiting my in-laws, we enjoyed visiting our favorite restuarant in the area, Lavender and Lace. Helen thought the restaurant was closed, so we didn't go for lunch; however, she wanted to drive by to see if what she had heard about them being closed was true, but Eureka! they were open...so we HAD to stop and have tea and dessert.
Helen looks beautiful, doesn't she? She has been having trouble with one knee, but she was feeling great while I was there.
The Red Hat Ladies were out in full force!
So tell me you could resist these desserts! We chose Key Lime and Coconut Creme...of course, we took home plenty for Ben!
Mom and Dad at their home in Winter Haven with the new flag I bought them from the Tea Room.
I did not take any pictures in Long Boat Key because, as it turns out, we arrived a day earlier than the planned time for the retirement party for my cousin, Jerry. I didn't bring clothing or toilitries or my camera, thinking we were heading back that afternoon. We ended up staying in my cousin Jan's beach house, a beautiful home in Country Club Shores in LongBoat Keys. Although we weren't fresh and tidy, we spent the night and attended the party the next day. Following the party, we returned to Bartow and took our long awaited shower and prepared for a night out with the ladies. We met Betty's dear friends at the Peace River Country Club for dinner. They were so delightful...I hope I'm just as energetic and fun at 92! Betty is the youngster of the group at 86.
Well, maybe I'm the youngster of the group!
The next morning, before leaving to meet up with Jamie, I went to visit the place where my mother's ashes are scattered. It is a beautiful, peaceful place.
As a child, I used to love sitting under this tree in Betty's yard. This is not the tree I used to talk to; those of you who have known me a long time know my best childhood friend in Bartow was a tree. Yes, another story for another time.
This home has been a part of my life since I was about 4. My Aunt Betty watched after me and I spent teenage summers here.
I'm now at home and am preparing a wonderful dinner for Garry, a movie and gift-giving for his 55th birthday, which was on February 19. He's getting an ipad, but he doesn't know it yet!
We leave on Thursday for Little Rock...yay! I miss them so much it hurts! When I get back I'll go see the other bunch in Athens!

Julie, sounds like you had a fabulous visit to FL. Nothing like connecting with relatives and long-time friends. The trees dripping with moss are just beautiful. I'll be glad when Dan retires so we can take off whenever we want to visit family and friends. I hope you have a great trip to Little Rock. I'm assuming you will be seeing your little grandpeople?? Know you love it!
ReplyDeleteYou and Dan will have a great time traveling here and there when he retires...I look forward to more of that with Garry. Yes, we're going to see the little ones...can't wait! I know you know what that's like! Bless you, MaryAnn!
ReplyDeleteMom, this sounds like it was SUCH a sweet visit... I am so glad you got to do this. I love you.
ReplyDelete